Monday, July 26, 2010

That Didn't Last Long

I changed the plan.

As committed to my goal as I am, I am also committed to being a mom. There is such a fine line between doing for ourselves to make us better, happier people and giving up time with your kids. For each person, this is different.

How much time are you willing to keep that kid in a jog stroller? How much time can you handle leaving them in the gym nursery? How many times a week do you want to bring them to the gym? How much time away are you willing to spend?

For each person this is different. Did I mention that yet? And we are not to judge anyone for whatever their answers may be.

For me, committing my kids to one hour in the gym nursery 3x/week was too much. Having a trainer on Fridays so I could take Fast Twitch T/Th meant I would have to do that. Now, I'll bring them for my 20 min cardio without an ounce of guilt. But being committed to being gone for one hour that often, I'm not ready.

I am with my kids most every minute of every day except for M/W mornings. Friday is reserved for playgroups and outings. I decided I was not willing to interrupt that fun, unstructured time together with my children. So here is the new plan:

M: trainer
T: cardio
W: trainer
Th: cardio
F: cardio
S: Full body fast twitch
Sun: cardio

I will give up my beloved Fast Twitch classes during the week. Until my son goes to school in the fall, this makes me comfortable. Do what you need to do to get your workouts in, but don't do it at the expense of precious time or mommy guilt.

I cried in the locker room this morning after my trainer. I'm not really sure why. The workouts are so hard, I am trying to be so tough but it is taking every bit of strength out of me. Mentally and physically. I may have cried because I was so proud of myself. Or I may have cried because no matter how hard I work I still won't look like most of the girls in there with these hips of mine. (I know I promised I wouldn't say that but come on, we all have our moments).

Maybe I cried because I realized that starting to take more than 20 mins/day really does make you feel guilty. But I am pretty sure I cried because I am so proud of myself for pushing my body even harder as soon as things get easy. Yeah, I hope that was it....

Speaking of getting easy.....did I mention I am sleeping? And with sleep comes the craving for fresh, healthy, homemade foods. I went to the grocery store. I started thinking twice about what I put in the cart. I pulled out the cookbooks!

I love the Canyon Ranch cookbooks and The Food You Crave
The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life

These are normal foods, healthy and clean, can be modified to be gluten free very easily and it's all real food! I will never ever not in a million years put fake food in my house again.
Real foods = real satiety.

Low fat, no fat, low carb, diet. All foods made in a laboratory. All foods that keep you fat. I promise.

It's still a challenge to find the time to cook so I plan out my meals all week. Well, 2 meals. It's a start.

Up this week:
Beef Tenderloin with chocolate sauce/green beans and mushrooms
Shrimp Bake with feta cheese
Spaghetti and Meatballs (out of the children's cookbook so my son and I can make together)

I don't plan on taking pictures of food but if they turn out especially pretty I just might.

Remember-always have a plan, always have a backup plan, always be willing to change the plan depending on what you are comfortable with. Good luck with your plan!


Edited to add: The hip thing is what it is. I haven't thought about my body shape since I came to terms with the fact that liposuction is not an option for me. But when you have to explain to your trainer why you cannot do hammer curls with proper form because your hips get in the way....well, just brings them to full attention.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing wrong with making necessary changes. My head went through some of that as well. Will send rambling email when it makes sense in there! lol

    Oh & cookbook? A good friend got me the Cooking Light Weeknight cookbook as a wedding gift. I've only made one recipe out of it (hence that item on the list) but it's got some great stuff!

    I actually looked for the one you mentioned but it wasn't where it should've been. I love Ellie's Food Network show!

    She's a sane one with food!

    ReplyDelete